Friday, April 4, 2014

Gogo Jele: Crutches, Booze, and Prawns


As my time in Swaziland winds to an end, I seek to reflect on the aspects of Swaziland that have made my experience meaningful and unique. I have been blessed with the opportunity to live and dwell in this rural community alongside a host of characters that bring life to this sleepy village.  Some have become close friends while others I have simply observed from afar, but all have in some way impacted me, bring my joy, making me laugh, and reminding me to count my blessings.  I am embarking on an attempt to chronicle these individuals, as I feel we all have something to learn from their stories.  I wish that Megan could be here to more eloquently document these unique personalities, but in her absence I will do my best. 

Gogo Jele
My crippled, widowed, unemployed, impoverished, HIV positive, most likely diabetic neighbor.  Sure, on paper she looks like a cause for sympathy.  But don’t let her sad story fool you – homegirl can’t be stopped.  I first noticed Gogo Jele one day early in my service as I was sitting in bed enjoying my morning coffee.  At this point I was unaccustomed to the general absurdity of life here and was startled to find an fleshy old woman, clad in only a sheet of fabric wrapped loosely around her chest, crutching along while balancing an entire bundle of firewood on her head.  Talk about a BAMF.  I soon observed that she is essentially an adopted member of the family, despite her residence in a modest stone hut located separate, but adjacent to our homestead.  Living alone and without any reliable income, Gogo Jele subsists on the generosity of my Make and Babe.  I wake each morning to the clang of her crutches outside my hut as she heads to the main house in search of the morning’s handout – bread, maize porridge, cold water, and leftover chicken parts on special occasions.  She’ll crutch home with said goodies balanced on her head, singing joyfully.  Some days when I run, I’ll find her miles from home, hobbling back with a backpack full of prawns from the river.  God knows how long the journey takes her or how she manages to catch the prawns, but somehow she finds a way. 
So Gogo Jele is a bada** on crutches.  But her real claim to fame: this lady knows how to throw back the booze.  Seriously.  She could give any frat star a run for their money – she’s a tank.  In fact, I can’t be certain whether I’ve ever seen her sober.  The local shebeen (bar) is conveniently located just up the hill from our homestead.  This mud hut bar beckons a rowdy crowd of the village rejects, offering a reprieve from the loneliness and monotony of rural living.  On any given afternoon Gogo Jele can be found crutching up the hill, sporting her finest outfit, ready to shotgun some maize brew.  She must have a sugar daddy or someone who hooks her up with drinks, because she her lack of income won’t get her far in the way of belligerency.  Either that or her wit and charm earn her free drinks on the house (on the hut?).  At dusk she hobbles back down the hill, slurring her songs and chuckling to herself. 
She’ll be the first to tell you how much she loves tjwala (alcohol).  In fact, when my mom and Megan came to visit, she refrained from greeting them according to traditional Swazi etiquette.  Instead, she simply mumbled to herself, “Gogo Jele utsandza kunatsa tjwala.”  Gogo Jele loves to drink alcohol. 
Her favorite time of year: marula season, when the fermented fruit drink is more readily available than water.  From February until the end of the harvest in late March, Gogo Jele basks in the abundance of marula brew, her world revolving around its preparation and consumption. She has bartered with her more straight-edge neighbors for access to their marula harvest, hauling large bags of the fruit back to her homestead, where she diligently prepares for the drink the remainder of the afternoon before heading back up the hill for the evening festivities.  Gogo Jele is truly at her prime during marula season and on several occasions her drinking habits have impeded her ability to return home safely.  Most recently, she has called upon our family to rescue her after losing balance on her trek back from the bar after several jugfulls of drink.  Upon discovery that a rescue entailed a free lift home in a wheelbarrow, she has conveniently upped the frequency of her requests for rescue missions. 
The latest news with Gogo Jele:  The bar owner has recently gifted her with her very own cell phone.  Gogo can now call ahead to ensure that the brew is in plentiful stock before making the journey for her daily dose. 
Gogo’s thirst for both booze and life bring color to our often bleak rural community.  Some might critique her excessive drinking habits, arguing that they hinder her progression out of poverty.  Sure, if she cut back on the drink she could probably save a couple rand, spare her liver, and possibly tack on a few extra years on her life.  But who can blame her for making the most out of her unfortunate situation?  The community has embraced her, belligerence, crutches, and all.  I know that as a “community health educator,” I should probably be lecturing her on the health implications of excessive alcohol consumption, especially on an empty stomach and whilst taking ARVS.  But all I can do is sit back and applaud her zest for life.  So many of us choose to dwell in the sorrows of our less-than-perfect lives.  To say that Gogo Jele has been dealt some pretty crappy cards in her lifetime would be a severe understatement.  However, not once have I heard her resent her situation or wallow in self-pity like so many others, including myself.  Come to think of it, she is the only person in our community who has not asked me for handouts.  Gogo Jele refuses to succumb to her poverty, her disability, or her poor health.  Not only has she lifted my spirits on gloomy days with her jolly chuckle, but she inspires me with her zest for life, encouraging me to seize the opportunities with which I have been blessed.  I think we all need a bit of “Gogo Jele” spunk in our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment