Monday, August 18, 2014

From Swaziland to Southeast Asia

Well, it’s official: As of Thursday August 14 at midnight, I am a Returned (…returning…) Peace Corps Volunteer.  I haven’t fully processed the magnitude of the change that has rocked my world over the course of the past week.  An odd analogy, I know, but I liken my response to a turtle, slowly poking its’ head out and then quickly retreating to the safety of its shell.  I go through moments of just barely grasping the reality that hut life is behind me, but then quickly snap back into the present, not fully ready to accept the permanence of this transition.  That’s what this trip is for though.  These next 7.5 weeks of travel are not a unique and separate journey, like vacations I have taken in the past, but a continuation of the greater journey on the path I’ve been walking since setting foot on African soil.  They mark the next step of the transition, a blending of past, present, and future.  Of processing the ups and downs of the past two years, of celebrating my newly-acquired RPCV status, of indulging my wanderlust, of praying over this next season of my life.  This trip is much more of a personal, spiritual sojourn than a site-seeing extravaganza. 

So, what exactly is on deck for this eat, pray, run/hike/yoga/tan/drink-fancy-drinks-with-umbrellas-while-lounging-in-a-hammock adventure?

First stop: Thailand.  Mission: Eat, pray, yoga, tan, R&R.  I’m currently en route from Joburg to Bangkok and I have every intention of hopping on the first train to the islands once I get my bearings.  I’m bringing a bit of that unhurried, unplanned, Swazi way of living with me and my plans for this stretch of the trip are pretty loose.  I’ve booked a bungalow on the beach on the island of Koh Phangnam for several nights, but apart from that my only plans include: reading, journaling, praying, and exposing those pasty parts of my body that haven’t seen the light of day for far too long.  Expect obnoxious photos of my feet in a hammock against the sunset with maybe a pina colada slipped in there.  Sorry I’m not sorry, two years of hut life warrants some celebration. 

Next up: Vietnam.  Mission: eat, pray, run, REUNITE WITH MELINH.  For those of you concerned that I’ll be gallivanting around Southeast Asia solo for two months, have no fear.  For 10-ish days, I’ll be blessed with the company of my good friend from Emory, Melinh, who has been living in Vietnam for about as long as I’ve been in Swaziland.  From her place in Ho Chi Minh City, we’ll head to Danang and Hoi An, where I’ll be tackling the beast that is the Danang International Marathon.  From Hoi An we’ll head to the beach at Nah Trang and then back to Ho Chi Minh City to catch a glimpse of Melinh’s life in Vietnam.  When we’re not catching each other up on all of the adventures of the past two years, you can find us chilling at a beach front brewery and eating ridiculously delicious Vietnamese food.

Third stop: Cambodia.  Mission: eat, pray, EXPLORE.  Apart from the obligatory visit to Angkor Wat and a visit to a local Peace Corps volunteer, my plans for Cambodia are pretty open.  Limited internet combined with the rush of goodbyes and closing out projects meant minimal planning for this part of the journey, but I like it better that way.  At some point while I’m there, I’ll turn 24, so I’ll be toasting to that!

And then: back to Thailand.  Mission: eat, pray, ZEN.  From Cambodia, I’ll head to northern Thailand for a week of yoga and meditation.  I’ve found a place called the New Life Foundation, which from what I gather on their website is somewhat of a recovery center for stress, burnout, and addiction.  Sounds like exactly what I need, minus the addiction part.  I’ll be serving as a volunteer on their sustainable farm in exchange for discounted rates and access to all of the yoga and meditation activities that the residents enjoy.  I’m looking forward to the opportunity to reflect and practice the art of remaining present, especially in light of my impending reentry into American life.  But apart from getting my Zen on, the highlight of Thailand Part 2: reuniting with my parents at long last!  My mom will join me for a few days at the center before we meet up with my dad in Chiang Mai for some elephant rides and a Thai cooking class.

Final stop: Bhutan.  Mission: eat, pray, HIKE and ENJOY MY PARENTS.  From Thailand, we’ll journey to the Kingdom of Bhutan, the land of Gross National Happiness, for two weeks of trekking through the Himalayas.  More importantly, we’ll be celebrating our long-awaited reunion. 

When I returned back to Swaziland after my visit home in January, I was hesitant to commit to such a long trip for fear that I’d be burnt out and eager to return home upon completion of my service.  Taking the leap of faith and going for it was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made.  I’m not ready for America yet.  I need this time of prayer, reflection, adventure, recovery, and celebration.  If not now, when?  There is nothing holding me back: no boyfriend, no job, no school, no kids.  I’m wise enough to know that life has a tendency of getting in the way.  I’ve had the same conversation with numerous people: “I was going to do Peace Corps, but then…”  We so often get bogged down by what we think we are supposed to be doing that we sometimes fail to recognize what we really need.  I need this.

Cliché, I know, but the only way I can think to conclude this ending of an era and commencement of this new chapter is with the words of Kerouac:


“What is that feeling when you’re driving away from people and they recede on the plain til you see their specks dispersing? – It’s the too-huge world vaulting us, and it’s good-bye.  But we lean forward to the next crazy venture beneath the skies.”


final khumbi ride out of Swaziland


rocking the double backpack, or as we fondly call it, "Turtle up," with fellow RPCVs before jetsetting around the world 


celebrating our final night in Africa with some sparkling wine





No comments:

Post a Comment